Found a Pet?

1. Look for tags
- If there is no owner information, rabies tags can be traced back by the city that issued them.

2. Take the animal to a vet or a shelter and ask them to scan it for a microchip (which will provide owner information)

3. Make posters

Printable found pet template:

4. Post the found pet on, KC Petconnect¬†and Craig’s List

5. Email or visit local animal controls, humane societies, animal shelters, veterinarian officies and police departments – email your posters so they can post them as well.

6. Notify other area lost and found pet services.

7. Place ads in the newspaper
- The Kansas City Star will allow found ads for FREE for 3 days – information about posting a free ad

8. If you cannot care for the animal and need to surrender it, please contact the animal control department for the city the pet was found in or the municipal shelter for the city in which you found the pet.

Animal Haven houses stray pets for the following cities:

  • Overland Park: (913) 944-4181
  • Lenexa: (913) 944-4181
  • Merriam: (913) 944-4181
  • Shawnee: (913) 944-4181
  • Northeast (for Fairway, Mission, Roeland Park, Westwood): (913) 944-4181
  • Johnson County Parks Department: (913) 944-4181

More ways to connect with us:
Flickr - Animal Haven MySpace - Animal Haven YouTube - Animal Haven RSS - Animal Haven

Animal Haven uses and recommends
Hills Science Diet

Protect your pet. ShelterCare Pet Insurance Programs

Our Vision: A lifelong, caring home for every pet

Our Mission: To provide a higher quality of life for homeless pets through adoption, education and collaboration with our animal welfare community.

Animal Haven is a 501(c)(3) organization

Learn more about Animal Haven

9800 W 67th Street
Merriam, KS 66203
913 432-7548
View Map

M, W – F: 12 – 6pm
Tuesday: Closed
Sat, Sun: 10am – 6pm

Sitemap / XML Sitemap / Site Credits